Monday, January 18, 2016

From Snowflakes to Palm Trees ... WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE!!!

Well everyone ... 

I left the bitter cold, and now I am in the completely opposite climate! I am in TINGO MARIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This place is literally the 2nd most beautiful place that i have ever been to. The members and even investigators give us stuff everytime we go and visit! The best fruit I have ever had is right here! For dinner we usually just have huge bowls of fruit and the rice is so good. I guess after every trial there comes a blessing. Now my problem is, I have not stopped sweating! The people here think that I am dying because I am just always sweating! I carry around a sweat rag with me to wipe my face! haha  There is not one person to talk to in English within 3 hours of here so I guess my Spanish will come along even better and faster. 

We should have 3 baptisms next month, and in 3 1/2 days of working we have had 17 lessons, what a difference from Carhuamayo!! So yeah, I guess you can say that my week was super fast.  Now, hopefully I get use to the weather here, or i will want to just jump off of a cliff! I am serious. It is probably 100 degrees and 100% humidity, and I am accustomed to and acclimated to the bitter cold. hahaha!!! 

I have a ward here with 200 assisting members, we have ward activities. and everyone is so nice. There are a lot of different kinds of people here. It is so easy to tell the people who are educated and the non-educated apart. The educated people mind their own business and say hello when you pass by. The uneducated people, they stare at me like I'm some sort of monster, they point and say "gringo", actually they yell it, sometimes from across the park, or the street! It's like they've never seen a gringo before in their life!! haha!! These people are crazy!!  I think I'm going to like it here, I am having a good time, and I should see a lot of success. 

My new companion is Elder Arpires, he is from Argentina! He's a cool guy, and we get along really good! We're going to be great together! And I am in Elder Rocky Evans zone!!!! He is the zone leader here and I'll be going on splits with him tomorrow! Rocky Evans is another Elder from Sandy/Draper, he went to Alta High School with Luke, he's a year older in school! 

Today we are going to a waterfall. It should be super cool. I miss you all more than you can imagine, but I am almost 1/4th of the way done with my mission, it is going fast! Everyone please be safe and be happy! 

I want you all to know that I know that this church is true. I have been praying so much lately for so many different things, and my answers come, it's not always when I want them, but in the time that they are most needed. Prayer is the only thing keeping me going some days, and also my patriarchal blessing. I have read my patriarchal blessing at least 60 times since I got to the mission. It has given me great comfort, and direction. I am so grateful for my blessing. It talks a lot about my mission and it has given me the greatest guidance. I know it's straight from Heavenly Father, through the mouth of his patriarch. I love you all and I know that the only way that we can live again after this life and be together is through our Savior, Jesus Christ. 

Everyone have a great week! Love you all!

Elder Christensen


Marcelino Chavez and his son
Mercelino is the husband to Luke's Pensionista Hermana Beti.
Luke really loved this family, and they took good care of him!



Saying goodbye to Cerro de Pasco with some of his favorite Elders and friends.


Saying goodbye in Cerro de Pasco to great friends!



Elder Baca and Elder Christensen saying "See ya later", not goodbye!
Elder Baca has fast become one of Luke's greatest friends, mentors and Zone Leader.
We are all so grateful for Elder Baca. Luke will truly miss him!



Goodbye to Cerro de Pasco and Carhuamayo



On the 6 hour drive to Tingo Maria (the jungle)!



Along the way to Tingo Maria, looking a little more like jungle.



Welcome to Tingo Maria!!! Love the palm trees and blue skies!
Luke went from 15,000 ft to 2,200 ft.
He ought to be able to breath really good now!


Tingo Maria!!!
Tingo Maria has a population of 55,000 and sits at 2,204 feet above sea level.
It is known as the "Door of the Amazonia"
Tingo Maria was considered unreachable until 1936.
In 1942 the US Government sent funding to Peru to cultivate the land. They now grow
large amounts of coffee beans there!
Tingo Maria is about 8 hours north of Huancayo at the northern end of Luke's mission.
It looks beautiful!!!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! So happy that he is in a warmer place and is busier. So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete